Who Needs a Pit Dock Leveler? Posted at 14:27h in Loading Docks
What does a pit dock leveler do? It forms a ramp between the truck and dock to make loading and unloading easier. A recessed dock leveler is the most popular option on the market for a number of reasons. For one thing, they have a greater operating range and they’re known for their durability.
Here are some industries that benefit from installing a dock leveler.
Who Needs a Recessed Dock Leveler?
A dock leveler closes the gap between the dock and cargo trailer with the push of a button, making transitions both smoother and safer. This also makes it easier for forklift operators and pallet truck drivers to move back and forth, so long as they have enough space to operate.
Many different industries take advantage of dock levelers, such as:
- Retail outlets
- Warehousing companies
- Food distribution companies
- Distributors of all types of dry goods
- Companies involved in the loading and unloading of vehicles
- Business owners who want to increase their warehouse production
- Companies that require high volumes of products to be moved, like Costco or Amazon.
- Businesses that want to increase employee safety by minimizing the risk of accidents, as well as ensure more efficient handling of their products.
Why is a Recessed Dock Leveler so Necessary?
- A recessed dock leveler can help keep your employees safer and reduce on-the-job injuries.
- Dock levelers also have the capacity to withstand hard work on a daily basis, and can last the better part of a decade with proper maintenance.
- Ease of operation at the push of a button.
- They reduce the effect known as spring impact.
- Saves time and effort, cutting down on costs.
- They facilitate sanitation by providing more convenient access to the pit for cleaning and maintaining required standards, especially in the food industry.
Types of Dock Levelers
Some types of pit dock levelers, such as hydraulic levelers, are designed to allow operators to push a button or use a control. No pull chain is needed to raise or lower the dock. This option is durable and requires less maintenance.
Air-powered dock levelers are similar in operation to hydraulics, but the system is powered by compressed air that raises and lowers the platform. This design is suitable for wet environments.
Recessed dock levelers are generally favored because they tend to last the longest. They also have a greater operating and load range. An expert can help you determine which of the many options is best for your facility.
Shop for a Dock Leveler
It can seem confusing to choose a pit dock leveler at first, but we can help you make the right choice for your facility if you have any doubts. Do you need an expert opinion? Our team at Frontier Pacific takes pride in visiting your facility, assessing, and providing the best option. If you have a facility in need of a dock leveler installation, or a recessed dock leveler repair at your warehouse, contact Frontier Pacific today by calling (510) 935-0086.